Shakshouka with Lamb Sausages
Juicy sausages, sweet capsicum, silky eggs, and tangy tomato combine to make a hearty oven-baked dish perfect for that indulgent weekend brunch.
Serves 2*You can click on the link to purchase the individual items.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red capsicum, sliced
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped fine
¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
½ teaspoon cumin powder
340ml tomato juice
2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
200g canned chickpeas
4 lamb sausages (or plain sausage of your choice)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
½ teaspoon black pepper
4 teaspoons plain yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Prepare an oven proof pan or dish which will snugly fit all the ingredients. Toss in the capsicum, onion, tomatoes and olive oil, stir well, then place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Take the dish out of the oven, add the garlic, chickpeas, chilli flakes, cumin, salt, sugar and tomato juice on top of the bed of onions and capsicums, then top with the sausages.
- Return to the oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven again, and using a large spoon, make 4 large holes in the mixture to nest the eggs. Break one egg into each hole, then dollop the plain yoghurt around the dish.
- Return to the oven until the egg whites are set, but the yolks are runny, about 6 - 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with parsley and black pepper before serving straight from the dish.