Creamy Sweet Corn Soup with Prawns, Avocado & Mushrooms
This lovely corn soup is great for light meals or as an appetiser - don’t be surprised to find yourself reaching for second helpings! Swap out the prawns for tofu, tempeh or chickpeas to make it a vegetarian dish.
3 whole corn, washed
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
3 pieces garlic, peeled and chopped
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1 litre water
3 tablespoon whipping or cooking cream
¾ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 fresh button or oyster mushrooms, washed, dried, sliced
4 tiger prawns, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon spring onions, sliced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cook the corn: First, fill a large saucepan half full with water, and set on the boil. When the water is boiling, add the corn. You may leave the corn whole, or cut them into half if your pot is smaller.
- Cover and cook the corn in the boiling water for 8-10 minutes, then allow to cool.
- Cook the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes per side until they are golden brown. Remove from heat.
- In the same pan, drizzle another teaspoon of olive oil and sear the prawns for about 1.5 minutes on each side till bright red. Remove from heat and set aside as well.
- Make the soup: Once the cooked corn is cool enough to handle, remove the outer leaves. Stand the corn up, and using a sharp knife, cut downwards to remove the corn kernels from the cob, turning the cob until all the corn is stripped. Reserve the cobs.
- Mix the olive oil and butter in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add the onions, saute for 2 minutes, then add the garlic, potatoes and corn cobs (NOT the corn kernels!).
- Saute for 1 minute, then add the water and stock cube. Cook for 6 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Use tongs to remove the corn cobs from the soup, then add the corn kernels - reserving 2 tablespoons for garnishing.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Using a handheld blender or normal blender, blend the soup till it is smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the pot and add the salt and cream over low heat. Stir for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Garnishing: Slice the avocado into wedges and toss with lemon juice. Season the mushrooms and prawns with a pinch of salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into individual bowls, then top with prawns, mushrooms, corn kernels and spring onions.