Chicken, Mushroom & Prawn Tex- Mex Wraps
With crisp vegetables, tangy condiments and the creaminess of cheese and avocado, these colourful wraps are a delicious, healthy and filling meal.
Serves 2*You can click on the link to purchase the individual items.
1 tablespoon butter
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped fine
100g chicken breast, sliced thin
4 oyster mushrooms, sliced
¼ teaspoon salt
½ tablespoon olive oil
4 prawns, peeled and deveined
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch chilli flakes
Salsa Rosso (Can make in advance and heat up before eating)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
2 pieces garlic, peeled and chopped fine
2 red capsicum, peeled and sliced
1 large red tomato, sliced
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
Assembling the wraps
4 soft tortilla wraps
4 tablespoons grated cheddar, colby or monterey jack cheese
1 small head of cos lettuce, sliced thin
30g cabbage, sliced thin
½ avocado, cut into wedges
1 tablespoon pickled green chillies
2 tablespoons sour cream
- Chicken & Mushrooms: Heat a saute pan over medium heat and add the butter and garlic, sauteing until the garlic is fragrant but not golden. Add the chicken and continue to stir. Add the salt and then the fresh mushrooms, stirring constantly until chicken is cooked through (about 6 mins). Turn off the heat, scrape the chicken from the pan into a bowl, and wipe the pan clean with a paper towel.
- Prawns: Sprinkle the prawns with salt and chilli flakes, then heat the pan over medium heat. When hot add the oil, make sure it coats the pan, then lay the prawns on. Leave the prawns to cook untouched for 1 minute, then turn and continue to cook for another minute. The prawns should be firm and opaque if cooked. If they are not yet cooked, extend another minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Salsa Rosso: In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat over medium. When hot, add the yellow onions and bell peppers, stirring for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato, continue to stir until the bell peppers are soft. Add the salt and sugar, and turn off the heat (about 12 minutes total). Using a handheld blender, blend the mixture into a smooth sauce (you can also use a normal blender - but ensure the mixture is not piping hot).
- Prepare all your ingredients (grated cheese, salsa rosso, lettuce, cabbage, pickled chillies, avocado, sour cream, chicken, prawns) in serving bowls to quickly assemble the wraps.
- Then heat the wraps by microwaving for 10 seconds (or follow manufacturer’s instructions).
- To assemble the prawn wraps, place the warm wraps on a plate, sprinkle the bottom third with grated cheese, followed by 2 tablespoons of salsa rosso, a handful of cabbage, followed by some pickled chillies, sour cream and avocado. Top with 2 prawns.
- To assemble the chicken wraps, place the warm wraps on a plate, sprinkle the bottom third with grated cheese, followed by 2 tablespoons of salsa rosso, a handful of lettuce, chicken and mushroom mixture, pickled chillies and sour cream.
- Roll the bottom up over the filling, bring in the sides, then continue to roll up tightly in cylinders to eat.